BA (Hons) Business and Finance
Transform your career with global applied knowledge
If you really enjoy controlling the figures, then Business and Finance is the perfect career path for you. Every organisation needs accurate financial information in order to survive and to make decisions about future growth. You will be able to recognise the trends and explore ways to keep a business afloat, making sure the profits stay up and the expenses stay low.
As it is a joint degree, this course will benefit students aspiring to be accountants or working in the world of finance. It includes skills that build on investment and commercial banking, insurance, consultancy and financial markets. Wherever there is a business, there are accounts that need controlling. Almost every commercial organisation needs skilled financial support.
There are companies that deal solely in finance too. These may be investment banks, insurance companies and financial services companies. The final year of this course involves a finance-related dissertation, together with a study of strategy, international finance and taxation. These are designed to ensure that students leave GBS with a wide range of skills that will impress an employer and enable them to secure employment. Not only will this degree give a sound understanding of how businesses operate, but you will also be able to create and analyse financial statements.
You will learn about the business environment and people management, as well as the fundamentals of accounting. Whatever route your future takes, the degree will prove invaluable as it develops your analytical and research skills in all business areas.
For hundreds of successful professionals
For Careers in
- Business Management
- Banking and Finance
- Financial Markets
What are my career choices?
This course is designed to help you apply for registration with the professional bodies in accounting and finance. Most Business and Finance graduates choose employment that enables further study with a view to gaining a full professional qualification and a career in accounting and/or finance.
You could also use your degree (and the more general business and personal skills you will have developed) as a foundation for a career in general management in a wide range of organisations. Many students will go on to study for professional accountancy qualification offered by bodies such as ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA. Your degree should enable you to gain a number of exemptions from their examination requirements.
Why choose GBS?
We have a team of experienced lecturers who have worked in finance. Their knowledge of the market comes directly from their own experience, which they bring into their teaching. You will have the chance to be guided through real briefs, watching the accounts of a real business evolve and shift.
With over 150,000 members and more than 430,000 students in 170 countries, ACCA is the largest and fastest growing professional accountancy body in the world. After graduating, you will be able to apply for exemption from all nine ACCA papers at the fundamental level. You will only have to pass five papers at the professional level to become ACCA affliates. We also have some CIMA exemptions. You also need three years’ experience if you want to join the ACCA.
- Accounting Systems in Business Organisations (30 credits)
- The Business Environment (15 credits)
- Management Accounting (15 credits)
- People and Organisations (30 credits)
- The Graduate Challenge (15 credits)
- Career Viewpoint (15 credits)
- Advanced Management Accounting (30 credits)
- Enterprise Projects (30 credits)
- Project Management (15 credits)
- Business Analytics (15 credits)
- Economic Analysis (15 credits)
- Business-to-Business and Services Marketing (15 credits)
- International Finance (30 credits)
- UK Taxation or Dissertation (30 credits)
- Strategic Decision Making (15 credits)
- Business Information Systems (15 credits)
- Strategic Human Resource Management (30 credits)
Further industry preparation for your role
CFA Exam Preparation (Optional):
GBS is known for preparing candidate for investment banking, private equity and hedge funds roles. We recommend you to do CFA Level I when you are working on your postgraduate degree to further deepen your knowledge. The MBA curriculum should also help you to prepare for your CFA exam. We do have limited scholarships for CFA tuition so please always request further information and availability in your Admission stage.
Career Development and Employability:
GBS takes your career very seriously. We start assisting your career opportunities from day 1. You will be having one to one session with your career advisor to identify your strengths and weakness against the top roles you want to achieve after your degree. There are various steps you have to go through:
Customizing your pitch:
In you first term, we will help you customize your CV according to the industry and your preferred role. We will guide you to build your personal brand on social media.
We would assist you with case studies, mock interviews and psychometric tests.
You will be encouraged to be involved in organization team for industry conferences on various topics.
GBS will suggest you to take volunteer role in various finance and investment societies to connect with industry professionals.
GBS organizes each year Valuation Olympiad Competition and teams from various parts of world participate in it. You will be invited to participate in it and benchmark yourself against your competition.
GBS trains professionals in investment banks, private equities, hedge funds, consulting firms and corporates globally. You might have good chances to meet corporate team and ask for the culture of the firm before you start introducing yourself to these firms.
GBS will push you to develop your extra-curricular skills. You should actively organize and participate on debates to master your communication skills.
Our greatest asset is our alumni network:
We encourage you to participate in alumni networking events in different cities and find mentors who share the common vision with you.
Global Investment Banking Analyst Programme:
GBS together with its Training Consulting Company, Global Banking Training, train employees of investment banks, private equity and hedge funds globally. GBS has created this intense training programme to apply your academic knowledge on real companies to prepare you for your jobs on day 1. The curriculum of the training programme are:
- Application on London stock exchange (LSE), NYSE and NASDAQ listed companies
- Global investment banking process and pitch preparation, presentation and writing confidential investment memo and teasers
- Fundamentals of valuation, trading comparables valuation and Financial Modeling of Trading Comps
- Discounted Cash Flow valuation (DCF) and Financial Modeling from scratch
- Determining Transaction Premium (Transaction Comps), Leveraged/Management Buyout (LBO) and Financial Modeling
- Excel Financial Modeling and valuation of public listed companies by using “Comparable comps” method
- Excel Financial Modeling and valuation of public listed companies by using “Discounted cash flow” method
- Excel Financial Modeling and determination of the premium paid by buyer of the business by using “Transaction comps” method
- Excel Financial Modeling and leveraged buyout of the company by a Private Equity sponsor
- Board presentation of the investment banking transaction
- Discussion on frequently asked questions (FAQs) on this topic by Investment Banks, Hedge Funds and Private Equity firms
Should possess a Level 3 or A level
CEFR B2 / IELTS -6
Statement of Purpose
Complete a Statement of Purpose
Fill out GBS application form
2 Academic or industry references
A Tuition Fee Loan will cover the cost of your up-front fees, and will be paid to your university or College. The Loan must be repaid once you finished your course and are earning £25,000 a year or more. Both full and part-time learners can apply.
If you are eligible, you can apply for a Maintenance Loan too. The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of term. This loan has to be repaid after you leave your course and when your earnings are more than £25,000. For more information please visit gov.uk/studentfinance.
Maintenance Grants are paid into your bank account at the start of term. You don’t have to pay it back, but any funds you get will reduce the amount of Maintenance Loan you are eligible for.
New students must prove they have been living in the UK for five years before their course start date in order to get living cost support from Student Finance England.
Call us +44 (0)207 539 3548 or email us
Intakes : September / January
Duration : 3 years
Awarding body :
Delivery: Weekdays or Weekends